Very few attorneys can bring the knowledge, insight, experience and back-ground to the defense of the person arrested for DUI and APC. He knows how an arrest is supposed to be made and how a breath test is supposed to be done. If an error was made in his client's case, he can find it and use it to his clients advantage in defending either the criminal part, or driver's license part, of a DUI or APC.
He was an attorney with the Department of Public Safety's Legal Division for over 7 years. During this time he prosecuted and/or sat as Hearing Officer (Judge) in thousands of driver's license cases related to alcohol arrests. Mr. O'Brien has taken over 2 dozen DUI/Driver's License Cases to the Oklahoma Supreme Court and has had over half of these published, establishing new law on each. He is responsible for the status of the law as it exists today on roadblocks and secondary breath tests in the State of Oklahoma.
Mr. O'Brien was a police officer for the Oklahoma City Police Department for 5 years. During this time he made over 500 arrests for DUI and has administered hundreds of breath tests to persons of all ages.
Areas of Practice
- Driver's License Cases
- Texas, 1971
- Texas Bar Association, Read for the Bar, Austin, Texas
- University of St. Thomas, Houston, TX
- Taught Training Courses to Police Officers on the operation of both the Breathalyzer; and Intoxilyzer 5000, State of Oklahoma
Past Employment Positions
- Oklahoma City Police Department, Police Officer
- Oklahoma Department of Public Safety's, Attorney, Legal Division